Before You Arrive
Congratulations and welcome to UIC Global! Soon you’ll be on the exciting University of Illinois at Chicago campus. Before you arrive, complete the steps below to avoid common issues and delays for international students. If you have any questions, contact us and we’ll be happy to help!
Complete Your Pre-Arrival Checklist
After you receive the electronic copy of your I-20, complete the following steps before booking your visa appointment:
- Schedule a free visa information and preparation session with your personal Enrollment Advisor.
- Check that the details on your I-20 are correct (including your date of birth) and make sure your name is the same as it appears on your passport.
- Prepare the documents you will need to take to the embassy when attending your visa interview.
After you complete the above steps, you should apply for your visa as soon as possible. It requires an interview with the U.S. Embassy and can sometimes take several weeks to schedule.
- Complete your Visa Application.
- Pay your I-901 (SEVIS) fee.
- Visit usembassy.gov to learn more about scheduling your visa appointment, what to expect when you arrive, and the documentation you need to take with you.
- Notify your personal Enrollment Advisor of the date and Embassy of your visa appointment.
- Watch these videos to help you apply for your visa and prepare for your interview:
When purchasing your travel ticket to your new city, plan to arrive on or before your scheduled move-in day.
We are so excited for you to join us on campus! To ensure a smooth transition to your new home, plan to arrive on or before your official move-in day. Airport pickup is available at O’Hare International Airport (ORD).
For all application and payment deadlines as well as move-in and program start dates, please visit the Important Dates page.
Book your flights through StudentUniverse and benefit from exclusive discounts for students! Get the best deals when you need them and benefit from 24-hour risk-free cancellation.
StudentUniverse has exclusive deals to get you the lowest possible airfare. Use this page to search for the best deals: https://www.studentuniverse.com/travel-services/Shorelight/affiliate/flights
Book discounted flights here.
We are looking forward to meeting you in person!
To help avoid delays with enrollment, make your tuition and fees payment in full two weeks before you arrive.
- Flywire by Peer Transfer: Please visit UIC’s Flywire portal to complete the transfer process. Please note that you can NOT use a U.S. credit card or U.S. bank account.
- Please be aware that if you do not pay your balance as indicated on your statement of fees by the payment deadline, the following may occur:
- Late payment fees may be charged.
- You may have your scholarship and/or waivers rescinded. In such cases, you will be responsible for the full cost of your program.
- You may encounter delays or other issues enrolling and registering for classes.
University of Illinois Chicago is partnering with Med+Proctor to submit your immunization record.
The Illinois Department of Public Health requires that all incoming students starting spring 2022 and later, born on or after January 1, 1957 who are enrolled for 6 or more credit hours present documented proof of immunity (pdf) against the following diseases :
- Measles (Rubeola) – two (2) doses at least 28 days apart
- Rubella (German Measles) – two (2) doses at least 28 days apart
- Mumps – two (2) doses at least 28 days apart
- TD (Tetanus and Diphtheria) – three (3) doses required – one (1) within past 10 years
- Meningitis – Required for students under the age of 22 – Must be given on or after 16th birthday
- COVID Vaccine (see below for additional details)
All students are required by the Governor of Illinois to submit proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.
- For more information, please read the UIC Frequently Asked Questions as well as UIC COVID Page.
- Submit proof of your COVID-19 vaccination to Med+Proctor.
- If you have lost your vaccination card or don’t have a copy, contact your vaccination provider directly to access your vaccination record.
How to comply:
- Visit the Med+Proctor website directly or via my.UIC.edu.
- Click “Register” and use your UIC email address to create either a standard Med+Proctor account or a Med+Proctor Pro account.
With a standard Med+Proctor account (free), you do not retain access to your uploaded immunization documentation.
With a Med+Proctor Pro account ($10), you receive lifetime access to your uploaded immunization documentation.
- Complete required personal information, download the immunization certificate, and follow the directions provided.
- Upload a copy of your immunization forms to your Med+Proctor account. Make sure your forms are complete and legible. If you are uploading your own copy of your immunizations instead of the forms provided by Med+Proctor, please be sure it has your medical provider’s office stamp and signature, along with your UIN. Once the immunization forms are received, you will receive an email confirmation.
- If more detailed instructions are required, consult the step-by-step guide, Med+Proctor’s Getting Started document, FAQ page or UIC Flyer.
All immunization documentation must be in English. Med+Proctor is unable to translate documents. If your documents require translation, please use a professional translation service.
Students who provide records that do not meet the immunization requirements will be prompted to make any corrections. Until all appropriate records have been provided, a student is considered not compliant.
What does my General Compliance status mean:
- Compliant: Your record is compliant for all required shots
- Non-Compliant: Your record is non-compliant for all or some of the required immunizations and must submit proof of immunization for the required shot(s) which are shown as non-compliant.
- Temporarily Compliant: You are in the process of completing the series of required shots (MMR and/or Tetanus) but must wait the required timeframe before receiving the next required shot.
Seeking a copy of your immunization record:
- All new students spring 2022 and later may visit Med+Proctor to obtain a copy of your submitted immunization record.
- Students admitted summer 2021 and prior who seek a record of previously submitted vaccinations should use the Authorization for Disclosure of Immunization Record Information form. To contact the Office of Medical Immunizations, we can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got questions? See the Medical Immunization Records FAQ
All incoming undergraduate students are required to take placement exams* prior to registration.
We strongly encourage UIC Global students to take these placement exams before arriving on campus. Although students will have the opportunity to complete exams during orientation, it is recommended that students spend that time learning about the campus, enjoying planned activities, and making new friends.
Depending on your program and major, you may have several tests to complete in order to determine the correct course placement at UIC. Please follow the steps below to access and complete all necessary placement exams prior to arrival:
Step 1: Activate Your UIC Student Portal
Step 3: Complete all placement exams in your UIC Student Portal.
- International Direct Students: The results of the Academic English writing exam will determine your placement in English composition or English language classes.
- Accelerator Students: Upon arrival at UIC, you will take an English language proficiency test. Your placement in English composition or English language classes will depend upon the results of the proficiency test. You may also be required to take additional English language courses as part of a UIC Global accelerator program or enroll in full-time English language study at UIC.
The purpose of all English courses is to help you be successful in your program at UIC.
Contact email@example.com with questions or concerns.
*Applies to undergraduate students only
All UIC Global incoming students are required to submit all of the immigration documents prior to enrolling in classes.
You must complete the following items before being permitted to begin your classes at the University of Illinois at Chicago:
- Attend mandatory orientation at UIC Global (date and time are listed in your acceptance letter from UIC Global)
- Submit completed Immunization Form to UIC Global (this must be completed, signed and stamped by your medical doctor)
- Submit proof of health insurance to UIC Global
Bring the following documents to the UIC Global orientation:
- Original and valid passport
- Original Form(s) I-20
- F-1 visa (stamped on your passport)/F-2 visa (for dependents)
- Copy of your Form I-94 (to print your Form I-94, please visit i94.cbp.dhs.gov)
Note: If you have not submitted original financial documents (no photocopies) before your I-20 was issued, you will be required to bring them with you when you attend the UIC Global orientation.