Before You Arrive
Congratulations and welcome to UIC Global! Soon you’ll be on the exciting University of Illinois at Chicago campus. Before you arrive, complete the steps below to avoid common issues and delays for international students. If you have any questions, contact us and we’ll be happy to help!
Complete Your Pre-Arrival Checklist
After you receive the electronic copy of your I-20, complete the following steps before booking your visa appointment:
- Schedule a free visa information and preparation session with your personal Enrollment Advisor.
- Check that the details on your I-20 are correct (including your date of birth) and make sure your name is the same as it appears on your passport.
- Prepare the documents you will need to take to the embassy when attending your visa interview.
After you complete the above steps, you should apply for your visa as soon as possible. It requires an interview with the U.S. Embassy and can sometimes take several weeks to schedule.
- Complete your Visa Application.
- Pay your I-901 (SEVIS) fee.
- Visit usembassy.gov to learn more about scheduling your visa appointment, what to expect when you arrive, and the documentation you need to take with you.
- Notify your personal Enrollment Advisor of the date and Embassy of your visa appointment.
- Watch these videos to help you apply for your visa and prepare for your interview:
When purchasing your travel ticket to your new city, plan to arrive on or before your scheduled move-in day.
We are so excited for you to join us on campus! To ensure a smooth transition to your new home, plan to arrive on or before your official move-in day. Airport pickup is available at O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW).
For all application and payment deadlines as well as move-in and program start dates, please visit the Important Dates page.
We are looking forward to meeting you in person!
To help avoid delays with enrollment, make your tuition and fees payment in full two weeks before you arrive.
- Flywire by Peer Transfer: Please visit UIC’s Flywire portal to complete the transfer process. Please note that you can NOT use a U.S. credit card or U.S. bank account.
You will need to complete the following forms before your arrival, and bring the completed forms with you during orientation:
All incoming undergraduate students are required to take placement exams* prior to registration.
We strongly encourage UIC Global students to take these placement exams before arriving on campus. Although students will have the opportunity to complete exams during orientation, it is recommended that students spend that time learning about the campus, enjoying planned activities, and making new friends.
Depending on your program and major, you may have several tests to complete in order to determine the correct course placement at UIC. Please follow the steps below to access and complete all necessary placement exams prior to arrival:
Step 1: Activate Your UIC Student Portal
Step 3: Complete all placement exams in your UIC Student Portal.
- International Direct Students: The results of the Academic English writing exam will determine your placement in English composition or English language classes.
- Accelerator Students: Upon arrival at UIC, you will take an English language proficiency test. Your placement in English composition or English language classes will depend upon the results of the proficiency test. You may also be required to take additional English language courses as part of a UIC Global accelerator program or enroll in full-time English language study at UIC.
The purpose of all English courses is to help you be successful in your program at UIC.
Contact email@example.com with questions or concerns.
*Applies to undergraduate students only
All UIC Global incoming students are required to submit all of the immigration documents prior to enrolling in classes.
You must complete the following items before being permitted to begin your classes at the University of Illinois at Chicago:
- Attend mandatory orientation at UIC Global (date and time are listed in your acceptance letter from UIC Global)
- Submit completed Immunization Form to UIC Global (this must be completed, signed and stamped by your medical doctor)
- Submit proof of health insurance to UIC Global
Bring the following documents to the UIC Global orientation:
- Original and valid passport
- Original Form(s) I-20
- F-1 visa (stamped on your passport)/F-2 visa (for dependents)
- Copy of your Form I-94 (to print your Form I-94, please visit i94.cbp.dhs.gov)
Note: If you have not submitted original financial documents (no photocopies) before your I-20 was issued, you will be required to bring them with you when you attend the UIC Global orientation.
Information on your I-20 paperwork and visa, what to pack and other tips for arrival on campus.
Learn more about the process for getting your F-1 visa and arriving in Chicago.
Complete all steps before you get to UIC so you can help avoid delays or issues.