Before You Arrive
Congratulations, and welcome to
Soon you’ll be on the exciting UIC campus in Chicago. Before you arrive, complete the steps below to avoid common issues or delays for international students.
Before you start on any of the steps below, contact your local Ambassador. Simply select your region of the world below, and send your Ambassador an email, Skype, WhatsApp or WeChat message. We look forward to meeting you!
Abbie (North Asia, Exc. Korea)
Tomi - Africa
Viraja – South Asia (India)
Hoang - (Vietnam)
Saranya - (SE Asia exc. Vietnam)
Alice – South and West China
Annie - South China
Jane - West China
Kelly – Central China
Lisha - North China
Mark - East China
Vicky – North China
George – LATAM
What To Do Before You Arrive At UIC
After you receive the electronic copy of your I-20, complete the following steps before booking your visa appointment:
- Schedule a free visa information and preparation session with your personal Enrollment Advisor.
- Check that the details on your I-20 are correct (including your date of birth) and make sure your name is the same as it appears on your passport.
- Prepare the documents you will need to take to the embassy when attending your visa interview.
After you complete the above steps, you should apply for your visa as soon as possible. It requires an interview with the U.S. Embassy and can sometimes take several weeks to schedule.
- Complete your Visa Application.
- Pay your I-90 (SEVIS) fee.
- Visit usembassy.gov to learn more about scheduling your visa appointment, what to expect when you arrive, and the documentation you need to take with you.
- Notify your personal Enrollment Advisor of the date and Embassy of your visa appointment.
- Watch these videos to help you apply for your visa and prepare for your interview:
When purchasing your travel ticket to your new city, plan to arrive on or before your scheduled move-in day.
Please provide your arrival details at least 15 days in advance to the program start date. We need to know when you are arriving so we can confirm your housing and enrollment, it also helps the campus team prepare for your arrival and make your big day go as smoothly as possible.
Also, we offer free rides from O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW) to campus, and you can confirm an airport transfer service with this form.
All students are required to submit their arrival details before they depart for University of Illinois at Chicago.
You can submit your arrival details here: uicglobal.org/arrival
|Spring 2020||Summer 2020||Fall 2020|
|January 6, 2020||May 11, 2020||August 12, 2020|
|Spring 2020||Summer 2020||Fall 2020|
|January 6, 2020||June 8, 2020||August 12, 2020|
To help avoid delays with enrollment, make your tuition and fees payment in full two weeks before you arrive.
- Flywire by Peer Transfer: Please visit UIC’s Flywire portal to complete the transfer process. Please note that you can NOT use a U.S. credit card or U.S. bank account.
You will need to complete the following forms before your arrival, and bring the completed forms with you during orientation:
All incoming undergraduate students are required to take placement exams* prior to registration.
We strongly encourage UIC Global students to take these placement exams before arriving on campus. Although students will have the opportunity to complete exams during orientation, it is recommended that students spend that time learning about the campus, enjoying planned activities, and making new friends.
Depending on your program and major, you may have several tests to complete in order to determine the correct course placement at UIC. Please follow the steps below to access and complete all necessary placement exams prior to arrival:
Step 1: Activate Your UIC Student Portal
Step 3: Complete all placement exams in your UIC Student Portal.
- International Direct Students: The results of the Academic English writing exam will determine your placement in English composition or English language classes.
- Accelerator Students: Upon arrival at UIC, you will take an English language proficiency test. Your placement in English composition or English language classes will depend upon the results of the proficiency test. You may also be required to take additional English language courses as part of a UIC Global accelerator program or enroll in full-time English language study at UIC.
The purpose of all English courses is to help you be successful in your program at UIC.
Contact email@example.com with questions or concerns.
*Applies to undergraduate students only
All UIC Global incoming students are required to submit all of the immigration documents prior to enrolling in classes.
You must complete the following items before being permitted to begin your classes at the University of Illinois at Chicago:
- Attend mandatory orientation at UIC Global (date and time are listed in your acceptance letter from UIC Global)
- Submit completed Immunization Form to UIC Global (this must be completed, signed and stamped by your medical doctor)
- Submit proof of health insurance to UIC Global
Bring the following documents to the UIC Global orientation:
- Original and valid passport
- Original Form(s) I-20
- F-1 visa (stamped on your passport)/F-2 visa (for dependents)
- Copy of your Form I-94 (to print your Form I-94, please visit i94.cbp.dhs.gov)
Note: If you have not submitted original financial documents (no photocopies) before your I-20 was issued, you will be required to bring them with you when you attend the UIC Global orientation.
Information on your I-20 paperwork and visa, what to pack and other tips for arrival on campus.
Learn more about the process for getting your F-1 visa and arriving in Chicago.
Complete all steps before you get to UIC so you can help avoid delays or issues.