New UIC Facilities Update
Living up to our city’s title as one of the five most innovative U.S. cities, the University of Illinois at Chicago is welcoming students back to campus with new and modernized buildings, together with innovative and interactive add-ons. See below for new UIC facilities update.
Engineering Innovation Building:
A new, 57,500-square-foot, $43 million Engineering Innovation Building is now open on UIC’s east campus. The learning and research facility will help support skyrocketing enrollment in the UIC College of Engineering, which has almost doubled in the last 10 years to more than 5,000 students. Housing three departments—chemical engineering, mechanical and industrial engineering and civil and materials engineering—the new facility will expand chemical engineering research space by more than 40 percent.
- Chicagoland’s only high-bay structural laboratory to stress test large, infrastructural components
- Vibration-dampened nanotechnology labs
- Biomedical research rooms
- A highly attuned darkroom for complex fluid imaging
- Molecular engineering research labs
- Classroom and office space
Academic Residential Complex:
A state-of-the-art, Academic and Residential Complex (ARC) officially opened this summer at UIC. The 10-story “living-learning” facility includes both residential and academic spaces for students to enjoy. The structure stands adjacent to one of two public transportation stations on campus and also offers residents a view of the Chicago skyline.
Other amenities include:
- Fitness Center
- Starbucks Coffee
- 10th-floor sky lounge
- Study lounges
- Three lecture halls and four classrooms
- Tutoring Center
- Study rooms
UIC Global students can select Option AA on the housing preference form to live in the brand-new facility!
- Nap pods: Two new nap pods powered by the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) were added in the Montgomery Lounge, where students gather around between class breaks. Students can now have a private, dimmed light space to recharge their energy before kicking off into another course period.
- Lounge chairs: Multiple red outdoor lounge chairs were added around campus, which have become a new hangout spot while the sun is still out. Students can enjoy the fresh air and the breeze of the city of Chicago right on campus.
- UIC dot: Here at UIC, spirit is what drives us. The UIC dot is just another way we show off our pride to be a Flame.