Career Support for UIC Global Students
Chicago, a Career Hub
The University of Illinois at Chicago’s campus is located just minutes from downtown Chicago, so students can easily travel to the city by walking or by public transportation. This provides students with invaluable access to the many top companies located in the Chicago area. The UIC Global team understands the professional opportunities available in Chicago and aims to best prepare students for the global workplace.
The Career Accelerator
The Career Accelerator program helps students develop professional skills and gain a strong understanding of how to use their knowledge, interests, motivations, and personal experience to launch a career. Whether a student is exploring their career options or considering postgraduate degree programs, the Career Accelerator program will help each student develop the tools needed to excel professionally.
“Studies have shown that only around 34% of graduating university students feel ready for the workforce. With that knowledge, we have designed the Career Accelerator program so that students feel more prepared for graduation.” Said Gabriel Fig, our UIC Global Career Accelerator advisor, who has helped build a program exclusively for international undergraduate students. “Students participating in the Career Accelerator will be able to attend interactive workshops as well as receive one-on-one support in preparing resumes, creating and developing LinkedIn profiles, navigating the job search, and connecting with employers.”
The four-semester Career Accelerator program offers five different tracks to fit the professional prospects of our students:
- College-to-Career: For students pursing an internship (or co-op) experience during their college years and/or seeking general preparation for their post-graduate job searches
- Advanced Degree Preparation: For students who intend to directly pursue a masters or doctoral degree
- Sponsored Business Development: For students participating in a corporate scholarship program; activities are customized to the sponsoring company and/or industry
- Family Business Development: For students pursuing a degree that supports the strengthening and expansion of family-owned businesses
- Entrepreneurship: For students intending to start, own, run, and manage businesses after graduation.
Upon successful completion of the fourth semester of the Career Accelerator, students will have the opportunity to receive internship search assistance. Advisors will help identify internship opportunities that align with each student’s track and career goals. Students will also be exposed to a number of prestigious Chicago companies that specifically recruit UIC students each semester.
In addition to our Career Accelerator program, UIC Global offers international students with academic and personal support to ensure success at UIC and beyond. Learn more about our support services for undergraduate students.